Space heater causes fire in Parkmerced house
December 7, 2009 9:38 PM
At approximately 12:25 p.m. Dec. 7, a fire caused by a space heater broke out at 111 Grijalva Dr. in The Villas Parkmerced causing no injuries, according to San Francisco Fire Department officials.
The house, occupied by a retired woman, had no extensive damage, and the fire didn't spread to any neighboring houses.
The fire is still under investigation, said SFFD Chief Bryan Rubenstein.
Brett Evart, SFFD's Incident Support Specialist, said papers and clothes located nearby the space heater caught on fire and caused a large amount of smoke to exit the building, causing a nearby neighbor to call.
"So far no one is injured, and the fire was confined to the area," Rubenstein said.
The fire was extinguished before it burned the house and other nearby apartments.
"The fire could have been something if the neighbor hadn't noticed it," Evart said.
Parkmerced Maintenance Manager Jordan Field arrived quickly after the fire was reported, but the fire had already been put out and the clean-up process had already begun.
"By the time I rolled up, this was a done deal," said Field. "Everything is safe and secure for [the woman]."
When word of the fire spread, neighbors, including Morgan Lamb, 26, were relieved to come home and find nothing serious was done.
"I guess the smoke was billowing pretty bad," said Lamb. "I ran home from school."
The extent of property damage remains undetermined, according to both Parkmerced and SFFD officials.
POST A COMMENT
|BACK TO TOP|| |
Copyright © 2008 [X]press | Journalism Department - San Francisco State University